IVP - Strangely Dim - Links I Like To Link To

February 9, 2005

Links I Like To Link To

I have a few favorite places to go online. Some of them have come to me through readers of Strangely Dim; others have just googled their way into my life. Some are blogs managed by interesting folks whose inner workings are worth looking into; others are group efforts or anonymous offerings for fun or profit. Some are all of the above.

Feel free to recommend additions to this list. It's long overdue.

www.sacredgateway.org
Ten minutes a day is no skin off your nose, trust me. This collaboration by a youth minister in Kansas and a group of Jesuits in Ireland allows me to settle, reflect and open myself to God. Not bad for ten minutes.

www.thehungersite.com
Give food to the hungry without ever leaving your computer or paying one red cent. Just about the best thing a consumer economy has ever done.

www.bustedhalo.com
One of my favorite websites ever. Operated by the Paulists, this site features young writers and activists and artists working out their faith in real time. Featuring the Trivia Inferno.

A tongue-in-cheek but very informative survey of the seven deadly sins of classical Christian tradition.

www.practicingourfaith.org
The online version of one of the most valuable books on spiritual practices I've ever read.

www.ChristianComicBooks.net
A clearing house for the latest offerings from the Christian comics community.

www.homestarrunner.com
What sock puppets look like online. Ridiculous.

www.mcgees.org/notb.html
Mad at your boss? Your professor just rejected your test because you used a number 3 pencil? Get revenge without hurting yourself or anyone else. "The Number of the Beast" finds the most efficient pathway to proof that the Antichrist is whomever you designate it to be. For example, my book Comic Book Character may well be the Antichrist: "Add the tile values of the letters from the board game Scrabble(R), add them together, multiply by 18, and you get 666."

Lin's Bin online archives
My favorite program on my favorite radio station. Morning DJ Lin Brehmer answers listener questions with wit and insight. I take credit for the archives being online; I begged and begged for a copy of his response to my own question, and a few weeks later the archives appeared--minus my question. Rats.

Rick (from Cayce) is a thoughtful guy, and his thoughts are winsomely written on this blog.

www.despair.com
For the Gen-Xer in all of us. Featuring the Pessimist's Mug "The glass is half-empty. Deal with it." These folks slay me.

www.ivpress.com/zimmer-man
Shameless self-promotion, or brilliant marketing strategy? Hmmm . . .

More to come.

David A. Zimmerman

Posted by Dave Zimmerman at February 9, 2005 10:27 AM Bookmark and Share | TrackBack

Comments

Hi Dave, have you seen GetReligion? It's a site by three established journalists on the "religion beat", commenting on how religious issues are handled in the press.

pg

Comment by: Paul Grant at February 11, 2005 2:14 PM

Hey Dave, good resources, thanks for throwing SacredGateway in the list. Also, I didn't know about the Comic Book... cool

Comment by: Mike King at February 11, 2005 2:59 PM

Excellent! So glad to see you "linking". :-)

Annnnd, it's always good to have you posting. I take it you've recovered from Laryngitis?

Comment by: Macon at February 12, 2005 8:37 PM

hey dave - this is RICK, blogging FROM CAYCE :) - just to clarify. keep up the good work, sir.

Comment by: rick at February 13, 2005 9:02 PM

Hey all:

Thanks for posting comments.

Mike, this is Macon, Rick and Paul.
Paul, this is Mike, Macon and Rick.
Rick, this is Paul, Mike and Macon.
Macon, this is Rick, Paul and Mike.

My laryngitis is thankfully over, but I miss my annual flu shot. I'm trying to get back in a writing rhythm but SD has been pre-empted by a ton of other writing projects. Funny how that works.

Comment by: dave at February 15, 2005 7:54 AM

did u know if u put in "jesus" in the number of the beast generator it finds 666 so thats pretty lame

Comment by: freddie at February 16, 2005 11:46 PM

Wow--look at that. Interestingly enough, there's no route to get from "Jesus Christ" to "666" even though "Jesus" reveals two routes. That's certainly a bit distasteful, although the point of the Number of the Beast Generator is that virtually anything can be manipulated to represent the number of the beast, so I suppose "Jesus" is the ultimate proof of the futility of trying to figure out who the Antichrist is or was or will be.

Comment by: Dave at February 25, 2005 1:40 PM