IVP - Strangely Dim - Leashing the Hero in Us All

March 1, 2005

Leashing the Hero in Us All

A friend of mine is going to become a grandfather for the first time. Moments later, he will become a grandfather for the second time, since his daughter is carrying twins, but that's beside the point. The point is, no matter how good you are with kids or how free you are with your money, becoming a grandparent is a big transition.

Not that I know. I don't have any kids, and becoming a grandparent in your thirties, while not totally out of the realm of possibility, would be a psychological blow to my Peter Pan ego. It was hard enough to be asked at a zip-line tour through the Jamaican rainforest recently if the seventeen-year-old behind me in line was my daughter. I was never more ready to inject Botox into my face.

Again, that's all beside the point. The point, actually, is that since my book came out, people of all ages and backgrounds in my life are reporting to me on the cultural impact of superheroes. We haven't given it to him yet, but my six-month-old nephew will soon be getting a Jamaican t-shirt with a picture of "Spider-Mon" complete with mask and dreadlocks. My friend the soon-to-be grandfather was doing research on grandparenting and found the following reference at a grandparenting website:

"If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate a 42 pound boy wearing Batman underwear and a superman cape."

The subtitle of my book, "Unleashing the Hero in Us All," finally makes a little sense. My publisher and I haggled back and forth over the perfect subtitle for what seemed like weeks, and we both compromised and settled on the final product after we had run out of energy--not the ideal creative process.

But once again, and predictably, that's all beside the point. The point is, if you want to be a superhero, be sure to practice superheroism responsibly.

I'd be interested in seeing the weird superhero stuff you've come across. Feel free to post it below.

Posted by Dave Zimmerman at March 1, 2005 8:22 AM Bookmark and Share

Comments

I'm a cartoonist and my personal super hero motto is, "Always stretch before thwarting evil."

Comment by: ReinLion at March 1, 2005 11:13 PM

Hey there! Nice to meet you. I went to your website and read your dot-comic. I like the comic! Clever use of space and line, etc. Is the Tim-Drake thing coincidence or cross-reference to Robin--the other teenage heroic bird-boy?

I was actually reminded, by Flying Banner's debut, of an issue of Heroes Anonymous, one of my favorite comics of 03-04.

Dave

Comment by: dave at March 2, 2005 8:29 AM

"Listening to moving recollections from ex-homosexual men and women who describe what was missing in their own childhoods ... clear insight for identifying potential developmental roadblocks ... practical advice to parents for helping their children securely identify with their gender."

BUY THE BOOK BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

Comment by: Chaostheory at March 2, 2005 12:00 PM

Sorry here's the link!!

Comment by: Chaostheory at March 2, 2005 12:02 PM

Sorry here's the link!!

If link doesn't post search this site for the "preventing homosexuality" book.. enlightening!!!

Comment by: Chaostheory at March 2, 2005 12:04 PM

Thanks! I never noticed that about Tim and Drake, it's just a coincidence. A pretty wild coincidence, but a coincidence none the less. :) Actually, Tim is named after Timothy in the New Testament and I got Drake from the word for a male duck.

-Aaron