IVP - Strangely Dim - I Gotta Question

February 17, 2006

I Gotta Question

Hey, everybody, I've got a question. I'm so interested in this question that I'm going to post it here and at my personal blog Loud Time (yo! check me out!):

What would help American Christianity to be more thoughtful?

You can interpret thoughtful in whatever sense you prefer, and you may think about Christianity as one big collection of people or as a demographic of individuals or anywhere in between. My only stipulation, I suppose, is that I'd like you to at least think about how you would answer if "American Christianity" were replaced by "me" or "us." Spread the word, too; I'd like to get a good cross-section of people involved in this.

I don't know the answer, myself, so I choose not to respond but rather to make comments about your responses. So there.

Thanks! Have fun--play nice.

Posted by Dave Zimmerman at February 17, 2006 1:15 PM Bookmark and Share

Comments

I would say that we would need to be loosened from our materialism. Our lives are so cluttered and jammed with things and consumeristic crap - that we aren't that thoughtful as a group.

There are thoughtful individuals and certainly pockets of grace, but as a whole we care too much for our things and ourselves.

Elvis' rendition of "My Way" is ringing in my head...Isn't that our song?

Comment by: Roger Feeback at February 17, 2006 8:36 PM

I have "I Me Mine" by the Beatles in my head, but either one is fine. Good call on materialism, although I'd say it's not solely an American Christian problem. I read an interview with Kanye West the other day; he's the bright light of hip hop and he knows it, but he was distracted from the interview by his latest project: he's redecorating the interior of his condo. That's not a statement about West's beliefs, but his platform is certainly more mainstream than mere Christianity. Rolling Stone never gives me any press, incidentally.

Comment by: dave at February 20, 2006 7:46 AM

Too bad you're not available for Rolling Stone, perhaps CCM might grant an interview? But if they do be sure to mention U2 as a main influence in your editorial roots (seems like a popular thing to do). I prefer Bruce Springsteen as the main catalyst of my yet-to-be discovered lyrical career.

Comment by: Roger Feeback at February 22, 2006 1:26 PM

Bruuuuuuuce!

Since we're dancing to classic rock, did you know that the last name of Ray Davies (of the Kinks) is pronounced "Daviz"? Apparently he has a new disc out, and the Chicago DJs pushing it are all about getting his name right.

Here's my favorite Ray Davies lyric:

"I'd rather have you think I'm deaf, dumb or blind than aggravation every time I speak my mind."

Comment by: dave at February 23, 2006 8:41 AM

Ha - sounds Dylanesque...poetic and deep.

Comment by: Roger Feeback at February 24, 2006 9:30 AM