IVP - Strangely Dim - That's No Longer Hot

May 4, 2006

That's No Longer Hot

Apparently, Paris Hilton is tired of saying "That's hot." So I heard on Letterman or Leno or somewhere. She's now moved on to "That's sexy." Which reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Strangely Dim posts, which you can access here.

But I've been inspired to come up with my own catch phrases. I gave my god-daughter a catch phrase a couple of years ago, almost as soon as she learned to talk: "That's what I'm talking about!" Earlier this year I was drawn to the phrase "How you livin'?" as a conversation-starter. But both of these pale in comparison to the functionality and flow of Paris Hilton's masterful taglines. So I'm inclined to emulate her. What do you think of this for my new catch phrase?

"That's original."

Think you can do better? Post a comment, you're so smart.

Posted by Dave Zimmerman at May 4, 2006 8:36 AM Bookmark and Share

Comments

You know, I used to wonder about that in 8th grade, in regards to swear words. Who gets to decide which regular words should have a new meaning? And how did they get them to catch on?
I expanded my vocabulary this way in high school, but then, Mr. Kujawinski said that the use of profanity usually means that the user is limiting his vocabulary by NOT saying what he actually means.
I had saving faith in Jesus after high school, and had no difficulty substituting bad language for appropriate specifics by God’s motivation and the use of the “Kujawinski Method,” I.e., saying what you actually mean.
Swearing and catch phrases are not the same thing, but I wonder if they might be distantly related. In both cases, they were lost in the mist of irrelevancy until today, because you have made it fun. So it has a positive therapeutic effect even if it temporarily hedges one’s vocabulary.
I really wish I could help you with a catch phrase, but I have observed that historically, catch phrases are rendered useless as soon as I begin using them. Whether it’s the delivery or deliverer, who can tell?

Comment by: Craver VII at May 4, 2006 11:12 AM

Here's a catch phrase for you:

"I just use the Kujawinski Method."

Or

"That's Craver for you!"

One of the only Supreme Court cases I can regularly call to mind involves vulgarities (Cohen v. California). It's apparently our constitutional right to be vulgar, because people shouldn't be denied their freedom of speech just because they can't think of anything better to say. That, of course, violates what everybody's mother told everybody: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

What is the Kujawinski method, incidentally?

Comment by: dave at May 4, 2006 11:22 AM

The "Kujawinski Method" is what I call it when we simply say exactly what we mean. For example, if someone cuts my car off on the road, I might say, "That was reckless! He almost hit my car!" as opposed to @#$*@$%$@!!! ...and then hope no one notices that I have "I luv Jesus" bumper stickers or the fish or whatever. If I hit my thumb with a hammer, I might yell "Ouch, that hurts!"
I need to check on this, but it is my understanding that the Kujawinski Method is nullified on golf courses.

Comment by: Craver VII at May 4, 2006 12:12 PM

In Minnesota, the phrase is "That's different." Which can mean anything from "That's actually quite interesting and unusual, but I won't express much public enthusiasm for it" to "I think you're an insane freakshow, but I'm too polite to call attention to your bizarreness." A safe multipurpose phrase to use when you need to say something but don't want to express your full opinion.

Comment by: Al Hsu at May 11, 2006 4:33 PM

oh I'm SO disappointed 'that's hot' isn't cool anymore!! i've only just really begun to use it in the last couple of months. the best was when i said it to a married friend of mine about his dorky bike helmet, he gave me the weirdest look... :)

Comment by: emily at May 12, 2006 10:38 AM

You could try "That's dorky," or be more arcane and say "That's bike" or "That's helmet."

I always liked the short-lived "That's sick." Sick is good. "That's dope" was pretty good too. In deference to my previous post, however, maybe we should all field test "That's uncool" (uncool = good).

Comment by: dave at May 12, 2006 10:59 AM