IVP - Strangely Dim - The Bouncy Ball: A Farewell Note

February 15, 2013

The Bouncy Ball: A Farewell Note

by Suanne Camfield

So I have this bouncy ball in my coat pocket.

I found it earlier this winter when I stuffed my hands in the pockets of a coat I hadn't worn since last spring. You know how it goes, the discovery of random items that leave you scratching your head. For me, it was a few disintegrated tissues, a gum wrapper, a hair tie, a handful of spare change, and one bright green and yellow camouflaged bouncy ball. I put the hair tie on my wrist, slapped the change on the counter and was about to toss the ball in the trash when my spirit gave a little flutter.

assorted-super-bouncy-balls.jpg

A few years ago, my kids went through this bouncy-ball-obsessed phase. They'd snag them from gumball machines, birthday parties, dentist's and doctor's offices, and with unrivaled enthusiasm marvel over sizes and colors, sparkles and swirls, and--of course--bounciness.

For months I dodged the balls as they flew through my house, taking erratic turns as they leaped off floors, tables and walls. I'd step on them on my way to bed and curse. I'd uncover them, caked with dust, in every corner of the house. One got stuck in my Shop Vac. Another one hit me in the eye.

I hated those dang bouncy balls.

And yet there I stood, holding one in my hand, tears stinging my eyes, and I couldn't help but smile. The bouncy ball has come to remind me of the bittersweetness of life, the way it bounces us around in ways good and bad but that never stays the same. I stuffed the ball back in my pocket as a reminder to live fully in the present, and to hold onto those experiences and people and moments that mark seasons of life, bring us joy and shape who we are. Above all, it's become a reminder to continually be grateful for a savior who, regardless of any bumps and turns life throws our way, always--always--remains the same.

Today is my last day at IVP. I've worked here just shy of three years--a flash in the pan considering the tenure of some of my colleagues. But, for me, it's been a significant three years. Years that have helped me find my professional footing after eight years as an at-home mom. Years that have given me the privilege of sharing meals with inspired and prophetic voices I never dreamed would be more than ink on a page. Years that have been full of meaningful experiences, rich ideas and gracious colleagues that have shaped the way I interact with my faith and move through life.

When I set out to write this post, I envisioned naming, specifically, a long list of those things: coworkers to whom I'm indebted (Dave Zimmerman, for example, who in addition to serving as my supervisor, editor and friend, has listened to me drone endlessly about my five-year plan without once telling me to shut my yap), books I wanted to rehash, authors whose real-life character has spoken more volumes than they could write in a lifetime.

But, frankly, I've run out of time. Quitting a job is time-consuming stuff. Emails keep coming, to-do lists lengthen, interruptions abound.

And so, instead, I'll say thank you here to all of IVP--its staff, its authors, its audience and its friends in the publishing industry--for being the kind of people that I'll put in my pocket and carry with me, gratefully, wherever I go.

Posted by Suanne Camfield at February 15, 2013 9:24 AM Bookmark and Share

Comments

Good luck, Suanne, from a publishing buddy.

Comment by: Marcia Nelson at February 15, 2013 3:51 PM

APS ensures an accurate reading. Correct cuff positioning is critical when monitoring blood pressure. Only Omron Wrist Blood Pressure Monitors with APS have a unique positioning sensor that automatically confirms the cuff is level with the user heart. This helps ensure that each and every reading is accurate.

Comment by: blood pressure monitor wrist at February 20, 2013 7:01 AM

Functionally Speaking:

Comment by: handheld magnifier at February 20, 2013 9:32 AM

It is critical that when using a blood pressure monitor the cuff is the appropriate size and is properly applied. An ill-fitting cuff or an incorrectly-applied cuff can result in inaccurate readings. Consult your doctor or the included instructions for the proper application of the cuff.

Comment by: automatic arm blood pressure monitor at February 20, 2013 9:51 AM

Within the midst of all these skyrocketing costs, come the how?s, ways and means to save cash and earn extra. students accommodation manchester http://www.studentsaccommodationmanchester.co.uk/

Comment by: students accommodation manchester at February 24, 2013 4:20 AM

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this 1. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you simply could fix if you ever werent too busy seeking for attention.

discount michael kors bags

Comment by: infangats at February 27, 2013 6:39 AM

marked this. please try more!

Comment by: シャネルコピー at March 3, 2013 11:00 AM

Easy to understand,I like it!

Comment by: gucci outlet at March 6, 2013 5:37 AM

You are a very smart individual!

Comment by: Wholesale New Era Hats at March 6, 2013 8:09 AM

Fare well, Suanne, fare well with a verse, one of many favs of mine: And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are the called according to his purpose. -Romans, 8.28(KJV)

Comment by: reginathompson at March 6, 2013 4:14 PM

Lisa Rieck is a writer and copyeditor on the communications team for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. She likes to discuss good ideas over hot drinks and gets inspired by the sky.

Suanne Camfield is a publicist for InterVarsity Press and a freelance writer. She floats ungracefully between work, parenting and writing, and (much to her dismay) finds it impossible to read on a treadmill. She is a founder of the Redbud Writers Guild and blogs occasionally at The Rough Cut.